Epiphany by way of Dr. Schweitzer

(Originally published 8 September 2013) 

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Albert Schweitzer

That was my update today. I found it in a tapping (EFT) book I got from the library. I mentioned 2 other books I got on tapping in my last blog. I got them from the library, too, & I’ve since purchased both of them so I can review them as often as I want.

I thought I might stop there, but I had picked up another library book, Freedom at Your Fingertips compiled by Ron Ball, and decided to open it up & skim. The opening chapter “The Basics of EFT” by Ron Ball is followed by chapters covering such subjects as “Abundance & Prosperity," "Addictions," "Blockages & Obstacles," "Fears & Phobias," "Pain Management,” “Procrastination” & “Weight Loss” (plus more besides), all by a different EFT practitioner or expert.

I was intrigued by a chapter on “Happiness” by Brad Yates. It opens with the above quote by Albert Schweitzer, and in 13 pages presented enough thought provoking material that I’m considering buying this book at some point, and have signed up for the free monthly newsletter on Brad’s website.

https://tapwithbrad.mykajabi.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiHZMZejDS4RIxDdBwoie9A

Getting back to Mr. Schweitzer’s message, it got me thinking about how it was much easier for me to lose 75 pounds & go from obese down to a healthy weight, than to get rid of my clutter. I didn’t struggle the way many of my Spark buddies do with shedding weight; I even wrote a blog “It Doesn’t Have to Be Hard.”

I realized that I really enjoyed that journey to greater fitness and better health as I started walking at work, eventually striding 3 times a day during the week, sometimes adding stretching, yoga or ST, and making small modifications in my eating without ever going into deprivation mode. I was happy doing all the things that led to weight loss success for the 2-plus years it took.

On the other hand, I get a lot less enjoyment from sorting through old papers & boxes of “stuff,” trying to decide what to keep, where to file or house the stuff that stays, what to recycle, donate or dump. I sometimes feel satisfaction in taking a positive action, or can find the pride in choosing a good home for an item, or even have fun with designing a functional new space in a drawer or closet or shelf. But I have to admit, I don’t “love what I’m doing.”

So while I’ve made progress, I also lose momentum, and haven’t experienced really lasting success. But then I’m mostly doing what I think I should or need to in order to reach my goals—I’m not loving what I do.

I haven’t figured out what to do yet. I haven’t discovered a Clutter Cure. I just sense that by looking at things in a new way, I may have more success in letting go of what I don’t need & in creating easier routines and a more nurturing environment—and have more fun along the way!

Blessed Be, Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An open letter to victims of sexual abuse & their loved ones

Support Revisited: Thank you all!

The Last Book on Decluttering You'll Ever Need