Getting Free

(Originally published 24 February 2013) 

4 weeks ago, when I wrote the blog "A new challenge and refined focus," I ended with the pledge to relaunch my Conquer Clutter Campaign. That was the alliterative title I came up with a couple years ago, I think, around the time I founded the Babysteps Brigade.

Babysteps (the approach and the small, enthusiastic team) have served me well on my weight loss journey: 75 pounds lost over more than 2 years, gradually and relatively easily, by making small incremental changes in diet, exercise, thinking, routines. But I realized the time had come to do more than spend the occasional 5 minutes here & 10 minutes there if I were ever to win myself free of the lifetime of clutter and disorganization that has weighed me down and kept me stuck, just as surely as those 75 excess pounds ever did.

And so I made the sacrifice of suspending my beloved kung fu training in order to devote solid blocks of time to this new endeavor. Within days of writing my last blog, I chose a new name for this project, this primary focus
Getting Free. Books I've read by Deepak Chopra and Louise Hay make the point that what we focus our attention on grows. So alliteration and humor aside, why would I want to keep invoking and strengthening the existence of Clutter in my life? Rather than focusing on what I don't wantClutter, I'm putting attention on what I want to increase, manifest and cultivateFreedom.

For the first 3 weeks, I carefully timed my Getting Free sessions to replicate the time I used to spend training on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. This last week, after spending good chunks of time over a long weekend on the project, and suffering from energy-sapping demoralization at work, I found it easier to spend shorter periods each night, not just a couple of days.

I'm seeing progress, which is totally satisfying, and motivates me to continue. I have found some things that had been buried that I actually get to use now
WooHoo! I've tossed plenty in the trash and recycling. I've made donations & given things to coworkers & my sister. And I'm choosing homes for things where I can find and return them easily.

It's not rocket science, and I can only wade through old papers for so long before I have to take a break or go draw a map or do an evaluation of a new area. But I have the satisfaction of knowing I am facing one of my biggest challenges, and supporting my highest good every time I grab my binder and my timer and set to work once more Getting Free.

Blessed Be, Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An open letter to victims of sexual abuse & their loved ones

Support Revisited: Thank you all!

The Last Book on Decluttering You'll Ever Need