Learning kung fu at 57!

(Originally published 18 August 2012) 

It all started with reading a great blog by my Spark Friend Ronnie back on March 28, One Thing I Know..... There Will Always Be Excuses. She shares her regret at giving up on learning to skateboard with her grandson because she fell so many times her first time trying. I like her observation that beginnings are rarely pretty, and "sometimes you suck at it so move on and you will get better."

In my comment I thanked her for the inspiration, and wrote: "The thing I have been wanting to try and thinking about is learning self-defense. I was just thinking about it again this morning, and I'm choosing to take your timely blog as a sign that I am meant to go for it. I will start researching options and report within days."

It actually took me longer than that to take action. But I finally Googled 'self-defense' 'women' 'Tukwila' (my city) and got a few local martial arts schools, including one in Seattle, Seven Star Women’s Kung Fu.

Seven Star Women's Kung Fu (sevenstarwomenskungfu.org)

I liked that it was all women, and saw that they offered a 4-week self-defense course and a 7-week beginning kung fu series. Although my primary interest had been self-defense (as an incest survivor, I want to feel stronger and safer at all times), I realized the martial arts training might actually be less emotionally intense, and I saw that self-defense is covered in the kung fu classes.

I emailed my concerns, both physical (mainly joints) and emotional, and got an intelligent and understanding reply, inviting me to observe one of their beginner classes. I did that, and really liked what I saw. I registered, and attended their Try a Class night just to get an early taste of training.

I've attended all 12 sessions so far (2 more to go), plus 3 of the optional all-school Saturday classes. I will definitely continue training past the final class this coming Thursday. I am so grateful to have such an excellent resource close to me. I respect the philosophy and organization of the school, and am especially impressed with our primary instructor, Sifu Michelle McVadon.

I'm not the best nor the worst student, although I'm definitely the oldest! I've always been an excellent student, but I struggle in an environment that doesn't support my predominantly visual memory and learning style. But I'm taking Ronnie's advice to heart, and learning to be okay with just being OK. I wouldn't call my first efforts ugly, but they are certainly not great
and they do get better the more often we practice a move, combination, skill, or form.

I relish the supportive atmosphere at Seven Star, as well as my increasing strength and confidence. And the coolness factor is not to be discounted! It's such fun to hear my coworkers ask, "So how was kung fu class last night?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An open letter to victims of sexual abuse & their loved ones

Support Revisited: Thank you all!

The Last Book on Decluttering You'll Ever Need