10 Years Sober

(Originally published 29 February 2020) 

I knew it was coming up, but I actually missed my own 10-year sobriety anniversary! It got eclipsed by official notification of my career position—ending a 14-month temporary assignment (which had been extended 3 months beyond the original 12) & the increasingly anxious 7-month job hunt for a more secure placement. But I know this is a major milestone, and I want to acknowledge it.

Getting and staying sober was also the beginning of my journey away from obesity to greater wellness. It’s not that I was completely unhealthy before. I was into personal growth and working on my PTS issues, I ate lots of vegetable, I exercised some and was proud of my flexibility. Even at my heaviest (215 pounds on a 5’3” frame), I could bend at the waist and place my hands flat on the floor.

I had tried to get sober with AA back in California, but had several unfortunate experiences that, as an incest survivor, made me feel unsafe in meetings and with sponsors. So I had to find my own inspiration that was strong and genuine enough to tackle the challenge on my own.

My epiphany was realizing that drinking disconnected me from the Goddess. I was not willing to trade my spiritual well-being for temporary pleasure. I knew that alcohol was contributing to my obesity, as all good sense was overruled by the desire for tasty snacks to go along with the wine I drank. And I knew I was wasting a lot of money on empty calories. So rather than focus on what I didn’t want or on my “powerlessness” (the language in AA’s Step 1 can be triggering for abuse survivors), I figured out how much money I was spending on wine and chips every week, and set that aside to buy something I really wanted, that fed my spirit.

In my first year of sobriety I bought 3 framed paintings on layaway from an art store in the mall. The first (and most expensive) was a large one of Yosemite Valley at daybreak under a light dusting of snow. It was sitting in the window as I passed by, and I fell in love with it. It now hangs on my living room wall to bless and inspire me every day. The other two are a peaceful pool in a snowy wood at night, and a splashing stream as it cascades through a forest at dawn. I love their beauty and energy, and the fact that they remind me that I matter and so does my well-being. They represent my connection to Nature and the Divine.

And so I choose to honor my accomplishment, my history, and my journey. If my example inspires or encourages others, it would please me greatly.

Blessed Be, Amanda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An open letter to victims of sexual abuse & their loved ones

Support Revisited: Thank you all!

The Last Book on Decluttering You'll Ever Need