Sweet Sixty-Four

(Originally published 2 March 2019) 

Today I turn 64 years young. I refuse to think of myself as old. Indeed, I frequently begin affirmations with the phrase "I am young and healthy, I am strong and free," ending with an adverb (ending in ‘-ly’) such as "I choose to live intentionally." (I tend to favor rhyming affirmations.)

A birthday, like the start of a new year, is a good time for reflection. I’m just 1 year way from needing to register for Social Security, though I plan on working until age 70 (at least). Speaking of working, the biggest change in the last year was finally getting a new job—leaving state employment for a position with King County.

It has been a tremendous relief to no longer constantly worry about money. I’m not spending a lot more, but I don’t have to question every purchase or always choose the cheapest item. It’s been challenging to learn a completely new body of information. My customer service skills serve me well, and Outlook is the same, but everything else is new from the Skype phone system to PeopleSoft, to public health, dental, family planning and WIC content, and the computer applications used for registration and scheduling.

With 4 months on the new job, I’m feeling more settled, and wanting to focus on goals at home. My weight has crept up a few pounds, so fitness and nutrition (mainly less snacking) are focus areas of physical health. And organization and decluttering remain my primary challenges. I made a long-range goal this year of being able to host a holiday gathering this year. With 2 months gone, that leaves 9-10 months to complete. I don’t know if I’ll succeed or not.

I struggle to balance the desire to relax and just enjoy my off time with wanting to increase energy, strengthen motivation, and enhance routines, in order to make progress toward the positive changes I desire. But I continue to enjoy this wellness journey alongside my dear Spark Friends. Thank you for your support, encouragement, and inspiration.

Blessed Be, Amanda

Comments

  1. Ha-ha, almost 2 and a half years later, and I haven’t come close to reaching my organizational goal of having my apartment ready for a social gathering—sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An open letter to victims of sexual abuse & their loved ones

Support Revisited: Thank you all!

The Last Book on Decluttering You'll Ever Need